Below are some historical images from the archives.
This is the oldest image that we have: a sketch which is dated 1842. It was made by Thomas Evershed who was born in 1817 and emigrated to the USA in 1835. He made this sketch on his only return visit to Billingshurst.
The photograph above is undated. It is interesting in that it shows the old ‘hip’ style roof which was altered in 1877 to its current shape.
Here’s a fabulous little sketch made by a ‘W. Pain’ and dated 1900.
A few more old photos, sadly undated….
These pair are quite common photographs in the Billingshurst area, the second one here found on a postcard dated October 9th, 1906. On the right hand side of each, notice the lamp post and just behind it, a white fence. This is the position of the well where water was drawn and carried in buckets to our baptistery. The baptistery is still below the floor in our hall. Built in 1825, the addition of the hall called for the reorientation of the chapel pulpit and alterations to the windows.
Another undated image. The garden looks neat and tidy. One day soon, we are determined it will look like this again!
By the look of the vehicle, this probably dates to the 1940’s. Notice how low the hedge is on the left and right hand side of the path and how it allows for the Chapel to be much more visible from the road.
We know that this is minister Harry Maguire, with his Sunday School in 1929.
This was taken after an Anniversary Service in the late 1960’s. Rev. Richard Hall is the minister.
The set below show the changes made in 1988/89. Using funds from the sale of land which now makes up ‘Lakers Meadow,’ the chapel had an extension that included toilets and kitchen.
Inside, the hall had to have a new doorway!
A few years later, the rotting chapel floor was discovered and a new one put in. These next shots show the work in progress.
The photograph above right shows the original position of the pulpit before the hall was added and reorientation of the Chapel necessary.
These two shots show how the windows needed to be changed with the new hall. The first shot was taken in the hall loft space with the old window arch just visible. The second is the south wall with the old window placing clearly visible.
When we get our new roof, we can update this site once more and move confidently into the century.